Spigot Lodge, steeped in racing history, is named after the 1821 St Leger winner Jack Spigot. The 1849 Epsom Derby winner "The Flying Dutchman" trained by John Fobert was also prepared at the yard and famous trainers such as Henry Hall, Colonel Lyde and more recently Sam Hall and Chris Thornton have continued to produce other high class winners from Spigot Lodge.
Spigot Lodge is ideally situated between Middleham’s High and Low moor gallops. There is a seven furlong uphill polytrack and a four furlong warm-up track as well as a grass gallop on Low Moor. High Moor has a one mile four furlongs carpet gallop as well as some superb grass gallops, with a set of stalls leading out onto one of the grass gallops.
We have been making developments to, Spigot Lodge for over ten years now, which has brought our total number of stables up to 130. The ongoing investment into the property has made Spigot Lodge one of the best equipped thoroughbred training facilities in North of England.
We have recently made developments to the centre of our one and a half furlong indoor ride. Adding a new lunge pen and an, Aqua Equine Treadmill. The Aqua Equine Treadmill is already making a great addition to our facilities, building the power and performance of our horses. The Treadmill will also prove very useful when bringing horses back into work after holidays or injury. To read more about the Aqua Equine Treadmill, click http://aquaequinetreadmill.com
Our other facilities within the yard, include:
- Six horse walkers.
- Three lunge pens that are situated in the centre of a one furlong floodlit exercise ring. This facility proves invaluable during the breaking and backing of our yearlings.
- One and half furlong covered ride, perfect for the wet and cold winter months.
- Six wash bays with high pressure hoses, brilliant for keeping legs clean in winter and washing horses down on warm summer days.
- Vet room and Solarium.
- Several post and rail grass paddocks and cages, for turnout during the summer and an all year round turn out pit.
- On yard accommodation for up to 16 staff. We also have staff houses within a five minute drive of Spigot Lodge.